This week’s episode is all about setting goals and planning your website before you design.
We’ve all heard about goal setting in our business and you may have tried to do some yourself, whether successfully or not, but when it comes to website design, many of us don’t consider setting goals for our site before we sit down and design.
As I have been learning more and more about strategic website design and working with clients, I’ve learned that this is a really important first step to getting your website right the first time.
If your website isn’t working to help you meet your business goals, then it’s really not working for you.
- Why it’s important to set goals in your business for your website
- How to set a goal for your website
- Questions to ask when setting a goal for your website
- Questions to ask before starting to design
- How to reach your dream clients in the simplest way possible
- Sharing your purpose through what you make most important
- The importance of incorporating design for your dream clients and a style that fits you
- The different types of goals you may choose for your website
- How knowing your goal will help you design your website to convert more
- Creating a sitemap to help you make sure you have every page you need on your website
- Planning your website functionality for what you need now and your big future goals
- Why you need to focus on what you’re sharing the services you offer
- Best practices for setting goals and planning your website design
- Why keeping your website as easy to use as possible will serve your audience better
Questions to ask when setting a goal for your website
Before you start the design process, it's important to have a bigger goal for your website. This goal should support your business goals and will help you design in a way that helps your business grow.
- If your website could do just one thing, what would it be?
- What steps do your dream clients need to take in order to take action?
- Working backwards, what is first step someone should take on your website?
Questions to ask before starting to design
If you're reevaluating your website design or considering working with a designer, these questions can help you see where you're falling short and what elements of your current website are working well.
- Does your website focus on your core purpose?
- Is the main goal of your website what you’re actually promoting?
- Are you addressing your dream client?
- Is everything on your website consistent?
The different types of goals you may choose for your website
These are some of the most popular goals creative small businesses set for their websites. Each will affect the way you design differently.
- Growing an email list
- Sharing content and educating your audience
- Booking consult calls with your dream clients
- Selling a certain product or course
Best practices for setting goals and planning your website design
These are some of my best practices for website design. A few are simple changes that you may have heard before and others are more in-depth topics, but all will help you design a strategic website that helps your business grow.
- Include two forms of contact
- Use a professional email address
- Have a goal for each page of your website and lead people to the next step with a call-to-action
- Keep the focus of your About page on your dream clients
- Have one idea or message on each page
- Automate as much as possible
- Define your success metrics
5 Website Updates to Get Legit
Get the Guide