Can you believe that it's already 2017? I feel like just a few days ago I was setting goals for 2016 and getting ready to launch into my first full year in business.
Reflecting back on the past year
As I was thinking back on the last year, I realized that something was missing in my business - a personal connection with my audience. For a long time, I was convinced that because I provide a service and I'm not a coach or a photographer, I should only be sharing really practical posts about business and design. I came up with lots of ideas to share, but over time they felt more and more draining to write.
One of my favorite things about working one-on-one with clients (and one of the reasons I've stayed away from passive income products so far) is that I love connecting with each person individually - getting to know who they are outside of their business, helping them embrace the things that make them stand out, and creating something that helps them accomplish the big dreams they've been hiding away.
So in 2017, I want to do some things differently - I want to put more of my heart into my business, share more of my story, and trust that by being true to myself, I will be able to better serve you (and hopefully make a more steady income).
My Changes for 2017
When I first started thinking through the changes I wanted to make, I considered doing a re-brand for my business. I thought that maybe by changing my website design, my imagery, and my logo I could draw in the people I wanted to serve.
But I realized that I'm already reaching those people, I just had to change who my "dream client" was to fit the people I actually like serving best instead of the people I thought I should be working with. Plus, I love the colors and feeling of my brand (even if they are trendy right now).
So what is going to change around here?
- Personal posts - I'm going to make an effort to write more personal posts and share the behind-the-scenes of running a business, focusing on my family, and following God's calling in my life.
- A shift in dream client - after reflecting on the projects and clients I've loved working with most, I realized that they are all moms who are balancing running a business with raising a family. These amazing women don't want to be CEO's of huge companies, they just want to do what they love, spend time with their kiddos, and be able to provide financially for their families. (I'll admit - this was a hard shift to make as I'm not a mom yet and wasn't sure that I was allowed to focus on momtrepreneurs, but God kept putting it on my heart).
- Putting myself out there - I've never wanted to push my services on people who don't need them, but I've realized that by hiding in the corner and waiting for people to find me, I'm actually missing out on connecting with some amazing women. So this year I'm creating a schedule for posting in Facebook groups, sharing on Facebook Live, and creating free workshops to share my knowledge and connect with the people I love helping.
- Letting go of the wheel - I like to be in control. If you know me, that's no secret. But I'm being reminded lately that I'm not in control - God is. So this year, I'm focusing on letting go of control, listening to God's voice, and following His plan - no matter where it takes me. I've seen his faithfulness in the past and I'm trusting now that He will lead me (and this business) somewhere amazing if I let Him.
What You can expect from Lemon and the Sea
As I'm making these changes (some more slowly than others), I also want to keep my focus in the right place - on God, my family, and on helping creative entrepreneurs build businesses they love that support their dreams.
As I sat down on the first day of the year to brainstorm blog post ideas, these are some that came to mind that I'm excited to share with you throughout 2017.
- How Lemon and the Sea Got It's Name
- The World Needs Your Story
- Why Your Brand Needs to Reflect Who You Are
- How I Design Websites with My Clients (Instead of Just for Them)
- How I Use Asana to Stay Organized (and Help My Clients Stay Up-to-Date)
- How I Got to Where I Am Now
- My Favorite Non-Business Books that Have Impacted My Business
- How to Use Index Pages in Squarespace
- How to Add a Font in Squarespace
- Squarespace SEO Tricks You Should be Using
- Why Your Process Matters
- Pricing Your Services (without Feeling Like You're Guessing)
- Why You Need a Professional Website (Even if Your Business is Word of Mouth)
- Why Customer Service Always Matters
Of course, there will be many more posts and I don't have these scheduled yet, but I'm excited by these ideas and how they can help you grow your business.
Now it's your turn - what changes do you want to make in 2017? And how can I help?
Want to learn more?
Sign up today to become a VIP.
Lemon and the Sea is a brand and website design company located in Richmond, VA. I specialize in making the branding process personal. I work with creative women who have a heart to serve others grow their businesses so they can focus on what's most important - family. I work closely with small businesses to help them dig into what makes them unique, share their vision, and build a business that genuinely represents who they are.